Sony HXR-NX100 Full HD NXCAM Camcorder
- Single 1" Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- Up to 1920 x 1080p60
- Sony G Lens with 12x Optical Zoom
- 24x Clear Image Zoom, 48x Digital Zoom
- Discrete Manual Focus, Zoom & Iris Rings
- XAVC S, AVCHD 2.0 & DV Recording Codecs
- Create & Share Picture Profiles
- Slow- & Quick-Motion Functions
- Dual SD Memory Card Slots
- 2 x 3-Pin XLR Audio Inputs
The HXR-NX100 is an affordable, compact Full-HD camera capable of stunning results with a no-compromise big 1.0-type sensor, and a familiar, proven set of manual controls, including three independent manual lens rings, alongside smart fully auto options. The NX100 offers all the professional features you need in a robust yet compact chassis.
High sensitivity and high resolution
Thanks to the 1.0-type Exmor R CMOS sensor, the HXR-NX100 has much higher sensitivity than camcorders in its category. The 1.0 sensor is brighter, has higher resolution and offers more bokeh with a shallow depth of field than any other camcorder in its price range, allowing you to create beautiful, cinematic images that will amaze you and your clients. NX100 offers a step-change in imaging performance while support for multiple recording format capabilities, including XAVC-S 50 Mbps, AVCHD and DV file-based recording, delivers exceptional flexibility for all of today’s Full HD workflows.
Get close with a 48 x zoom
Sony developed a high quality, 29-mm wide-angle G Lens specifically for the NX100 to capture even the most expansive scenes with superb clarity. A 12x optical zoom is dramatically enhanced with Sony’s unique By Pixel Super Resolution Technology – which can enlarge the image by additional 24x while still preserving image quality. Zoom performance can also be doubled at any point with digital extender offering a maximum zoom capability of 48 x.
Packed with adaptable professional functions
Professional features such as advanced manual controls, including three independent manual lens rings, built-in 4-step ND filters and class-leading Full-HD performance make the HXR-NX100 an ideal purchase for expert users looking for their first professional camcorder from Sony, who want to step-up from consumer models and low-end shoulder models or simply wish to make the move from tape media to high-speed solid state recording. The NX100 is the perfect, affordable but high-performance choice for a wide range of shoots, including events and corporate videos.
Stunning quality from a large 1.0 type sensor
The HXR-NX100’s single 20 megapixel* 1.0 type Exmor R CMOS sensor is approximately the same size as a 16-mm film frame and seven times larger than three 1/4.7-type sensors combined. The key benefit of this large size is low noise and less blur because more light reaches the sensor, offering clear and steady pictures even in a dark scene with minimum illumination 1.7 lux**. The large sensor size also enables beautiful background defocussing (bokeh) to enable you to focus on what you want to show and defocus the rest of the image.
*14.2 million effective pixels.
**LOW LUX mode.
Sony G Lens with maximum 48x zoom
A fixed 29-mm wide-angle lens with 12x optical zoom makes it easy to capture even the most expansive landscape scenes while also offering superb clarity and sharpness – maximizing the performance of the NX100’s large 1.0-type sensor. The G Lens is Sony’s own camera lens family, designed and manufactured to the high standards of optical performance. In addition, your ability to get in close with the most distant scenes is aided by Sony’s advanced Clear Image Zoom feature. Once you’ve zoomed in at maximum 12x optical magnification, By Pixel Super Resolution Technology can enlarge the image by an additional 200% while still preserving image quality. In addition, zoom performance can be doubled at any point with a digital extender by up to 48x.
Manual operability in professional handy design
The HXR-NX100 is ergonomically designed to provide a lightweight and easy-to-use shooting experience. Three manual, independent lens rings enable smooth, natural adjustment of focusing, zooming and iris control. It can also be used in full-auto mode or completely manual for maximum creative control. Manual dial and buttons on the side of the body allow swift and easy adjustment of IRIS (aperture), GAIN and shutter speed. The white balance is simple to adjust by color temperature in convenient 100 K steps.
Built-in ND Filters
A built-in Neutral Density (ND) filter wheel includes positions for clear, 1/4 (2 stops), 1/16 (4 stops), and 1/64 (6 stops). This makes it easier to get all the advantages of shallow depth of field even in exterior day shoots, with no need to worry about bringing along and fitting a separate filter.
Multi-format recording with DV, AVCHD and 50 Mbps XAVC S
The HXR-NX100 is designed to provide the absolute best performance for Full-HD productions, recording in AVCHD and DV to support proven legacy workflows, as well as the newer, more advanced XAVC S at 50 Mbps. XAVC S offers stunning picture quality, but also workflow flexibility and storage efficiency. In XAVC S, the HXR-NX100 uses the MP4 file format, sampling at 50 Mbps, and is already supported by all the major non-linear editors (NLEs). Compared to AVCHD, XAVC S 50 Mbps captures more details and less noise thanks to the higher bitrate. Depending on your region, separate models are available offering recording frame rates of 50 p, 50 i, 25 p Full HD and 50 i SD (PAL model), or 60 p, 60 i, 30 p, 24 p Full HD and 60 i SD (NTSC model).
Dual media slots for recording flexibility
To extend recording time and workflow flexibility, the NX100 is equipped with two memory card slots and is compatible with SDXC and SDHC cards as well as Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2) and Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo. RELAY mode automatically switches recording from the first to the second memory card when the first is full, while SIMUL mode permits simultaneous recording to two memory cards (for example to create an immediate back-up version). The NX100’s two Start/Stop buttons on the handle grip, and camcorder body, can independently start and stop recording on different memory cards while recording in SIMUL mode.
High-resolution LCD and EVF
The NX100 has a 0.24-type Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) and an easily adjustable, flip out 3.5-type LCD. Both offer 1550 K dots high resolution for precise monitoring and low latency however you choose to shoot.
Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe
The HXR-NX100 takes advantage of Sony’s flexible Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe, which provides power, signal connections and coordinated on/off switching to compatible Sony accessories. For example, you can connect and control Sony wireless microphone systems such as the UWP-D11 or UWP-D12 or attach the HVL-LBPC light*.
*All sold separately. HVL-LBPC is controlled but not powered by HXR-NX100.
Wide choice of connections
There’s no need to worry about adapters as the NX100 provides a wide variety of built-in connectivity options including HDMI, Multi/Micro USB, professional audio XLR terminals, REMOTE and Composite (BNC).
Click here for Sony HXR-NX100 Full HD NXCAM Camcorder brochure.
What's in the box?
- 1 x HXR-NX100 Camcorder
- 1 x New Charger
- 1 x Lens hood
- 1 x Lens cap
- 1 x Large eyecup
- 1 x Shoe cap
- 1 x USB cable
- 1 x Rechargeable battery pack (NP-F570)
- 1 x AC Adaptor (AC-L100C)
- 1 x Power cord (mains lead)
- 1 x Wireless Remote Commander (RMT-845)
- 1 x Lithium battery (CR2025 for the Wireless Remote Commander, pre-installed to the Wireless Remote Commander)
- 2 x Operating Guide
- 1 x CD-ROM
- 1 x Warranty
- Approx 1790 g (body) Approx. 3 lb 15 oz (body) Approx. 2100 g (with lens hood, eyecup, NP-F570 battery) Approx. 4 lb 10 oz (with lens hood, eyecup, NP-F570 battery)
- Power Requirements
- DC In: 8.4V / Battery: 7.2 V
- Power Consumption
- Approx. 5.2 W (while recording with viewfinder and AVCHD 1080/60i FX) Approx. 5.4 W (while recording with LCD and AVCHD 1080/60i FX)
- Operating Temperature
- 0°C to 40°C, 32°F to 104°F
- Storage Temperature
- -20°C to +60°C, -4°F to +140°F
- Battery Operating Time
- Approx. 165 min. with NP-F570 battery (while recording with LCD, AVCHD 1080/60i FX) Approx. 215 min. with NP-F570 battery (while playing with LCD, AVCHD 1080/60i FX)
- Recording Format (Video)
- XAVC S HD：MPEG4-AVC/H264 4:2:0 Long profile AVCHD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 AVCHD 2.0 format compatible DV
- Recording Format (Audio)
- XAVC S HD : Linear PCM 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz AVCHD : Linear PCM 2ch, 16-bit, 48 kHz / Dolby Digital 2ch, 16-bit, 48 kHz DV : Linear PCM 2ch, 16-bit, 48 kHz
- Recording Frame Rate
- XAVC S (1920 x 1080)@50p, 25p, 50 Mbps AVCHD (1920 x 1080)@50p, PS mode (28 Mbps) AVCHD (1920 x 1080) @50i/25p, FX mode (24 Mbps) FH mode(17 Mbps) AVCHD (1440 x 1080)@50i, HQ mode (9 Mbps) LP mode (5 Mbps) AVCHD (1280 x 720)@50p, FX mode (24 Mbps) FH mode (17 Mbps) HQ mode (9 Mbps) DV (720 x 576) @50i, 25 Mbps
- Recording/Playback Time
- XAVC S HD@LPCM 2ch 50 Mbps Approx. 155 min with 64 GB memory card AVCHD@LPCM 2ch PS Mode Approx. 290 min with 64 GB memory card Approx. 145 min with 32 GB memory card AVCHD@LPCM 2ch FX Mode Approx. 340 min with 64 GB memory card Approx. 170 min with 32 GB memory card AVCHD@LPCM 2ch FH Mode Approx. 450 min with 64 GB memory card Approx. 225 min with 32 GB memory card DV Approx. 280 min with 64 GB memory card Approx. 140 min with 32 GB memory card
- Lens Mount
- Zoom Ratio
- 12x (optical), servo
- Focal Length
- f = 9.3 - 111.6 mm equivalent to f = 29.0 - 348.0 mm on 35 mm lens (16:9) equivalent to f = 35.5 - 426.0 mm on 35 mm lens (4:3)
- F2.8 - F4.5 auto/manual selectable
10 mm to ∞ (Wide)
1000 mm to ∞ (Tele)
- Image Stabilization
- ON/OFF selectable, shift lens
- Filter Diameter (mm)
- M62 mm
- Imaging Device (Type)
- 1.0-type (13.2 mm x 8.8 mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Effective Picture Elements
- Approx. 14.2 M pixels (16:9)/Approx. 10.6 M pixels (4:3)
- Optical System
- OFF: Clear, 1: 1/4ND, 2: 1/16ND, 3: 1/64ND
- Minimum Illumination
- [60i] 1.7 lux (LOW LUX mode) [50i] 1.7 lux (LOW LUX mode)
- Shutter Speed
- PAL Model: [50i]: 1/6 -1/10,000 NTSC Model: [60i]: 1/8 - 1/10,000 (1/6 - 1/10,000 when shooting with 24p)
- Slow and Quick Motion Function
- PAL Model: [50i]: 1080p: Frame rate selectable 188.8.131.52.12.25,50 fps NTSC model: [60i]: 1080p: Frame rate selectable 184.108.40.206.15.30,60 fps
- White Balance
- Preset (Indoor: 3200K, Outdoor: 5600K±7 steps, Color temparature set range: 2300-15000K), Onepush A, B, Auto selectable
- Gamma Curve
- Video Output
- BNC (×1), Composite 1.0Vp-p, 75 Ω
- Audio Output
- RCA pin
- Multi/Micro USB jack (x1)
- Headphone Output
- Stereo mini jack (x1)
- Speaker Output
- Built-In Mic
- Omni-directional stereo electret condenser microphone.
- DC Input
- DC jack
- Stereo mini mini jack (x1)
- HDMI Output
- Type A (x1)
Approx. 1.56 M dots.
- 8.8 cm (3.5 type) Approx. 1.56 M dots.
- Media Type
- Memory Stick Pro Duo(TM) and SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible( x1) SD/SDHC/SDXC (x1)