Sony PXW-Z90 Camcorder
- Able to stream directly to major online platforms
- Revolutionary Imaging Performance with Exmor RS
- Simple Live Solution for Multi-Camera
- Enhanced Fast Hybrid Auto Focus Captures Action
- Broadcast Quality 4K (QFHD) and HD
- Networked for High Mobility
- Superb Quality Monitoring with Enhanced OLED Viewfinder
- Dual XLR Inputs
- Remote Operation
- Dual Media Slots
- Wide Choice of Connections
- Wirelessly Synchronise Multiple Camcorders
$3,699.00 (inc GST)
Regular price: $4,649.00
The PXW-Z90 is the first professional palm-sized camcorder to deliver stunning 4K High Dynamic Range (HDR) content with Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) file-based workflows. S-Log3 is also supported, enabling you to create beautiful imagery with a wide color gamut and color range. The PXW-Z90 also offers broadcast quality 4K with advanced features such as high-speed Auto Focus, Instant HDR Workflow, up to 960fps*/1000fps** Super slow motion and streaming via Wi-Fi.
Stream Directly to Major Online Platforms
Live streaming instantly connects your audience, wherever you are. From weddings and live events to interviews and seminars - capture high quality images and share them in real time on major online video platforms. Set up your own streaming channel with your smartphone or tablet, connect via Wi-Fi -and you're ready to go.
Revolutionary Imaging Performance with Exmor RS
Exmor RS is a Sony's CMOS image sensor that adopts a unique "back-illuminated and stacked structure. A large 14.2-megapixel (effective) 1.0-type stacked CMOS image sensor delivers beautiful background bokeh defocus effects and superior sensitivity for capturing high-quality images with less noise, even under dark or bright conditions. This sensor integrates up to 273 phase-detection AF points that densely cover approx. 84% of the image area, for precise tracking of subjects throughout the shooting frame.
Simple Live Solution for Multi-Camera
For more advanced live streaming applications, the Z90 is easily connected to Sony’s compact MCX-500 Multi-Camera Live Producer via SDI or HDMI. The MCX-500 makes it easy for a single operator to run a multi-camera shoot, live streaming onto social media platforms with transitions, titling, picture-in-picture, Chroma key and more. Tally and synchronized remote control functionality is also enabled with RM-30BP remote commander.
Enhanced Fast Hybrid Auto Focus Captures Action
Enhanced Fast Hybrid auto focus (AF) is comprised of a number of features: Phase-detection AF with up to 273 reference points covering approximately 84% of the image area, face detection and lock-on autofocus technology to estimate subject movement. They all work together seamlessly to capture fast-moving subjects with amazing sharpness.
Instant HDR Workflows
Shoot, edit and view HDR content in HLG without the need for additional colour grading.As the expanding need for HDR content continues, internet video platforms and professionals producing corporate or event content are paying more attention to the added value of HDR. They need to deliver content quickly, without compromising on imaging expression and quality of content. To meet this demand, the PXW-Z90 offers HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) curve and BT.2020 color space shooting, in addition to S-Log3, for easy file-based workflows, whilst achieving the image quality of HDR. This simple workflow enables the shooting, editing and viewing of HDR content in HLG, without devoting a lot of time to post-production work and additional color grading
Broadcast Quality 4K (QFHD) and HD
High Frame Rate shots can turn everyday actions into slow motion ballet and the PXW-Z90 delivers up to 120 frames* per second (fps) in Full HD, giving you a maximum of 5 times slow motion expression. There’s no sacrifice in bit depth and no “windowing” of the sensor. So there’s no crop factor, no loss in angle of view.Higher frame rates** are also possible at specific resolutions.* 50Hz: 100fps. 60Hz: 120fps** 50Hz: 250, 500, 1000fps. 60Hz: 240, 480, 960fps
The PXW-Z90 allows you to record a wide range of 4K (QFHD) and HD formats for maximum flexibility from this stunning palm-sized camcorder. The Z90 supports XAVC QFHD 100Mbps recordings at 30p/25p/24p, XAVC HD Long GOP 422 50Mbps, MPEGHD422 50Mbps*, MPEGHD420 35Mbps and AVCHD.*MPEG HD recording requires optional licence (CBKZ-SLMP) upgrade.
Networked for High Mobility
The PXW-Z90 comes with 5GHz* and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi as standard – simply turn on and log onto your preferred network to enable a host of advanced wireless production features:*5GHz support dependent on country/regional regulation.
QoS Streaming to XDCAM air allows images to be streamed live from the camcorder for viewing at a remote location.
FTP Transfer allows content files recorded with MPEG HD 422/420 proxy feature (CBKZ-SLMP required) and other content files shot in XAVC (QFHD/FHD) and AVCHD formats to be sent over the internet for remote storage on an FTP server.
XDCAM air can upload proxy footage to the cloud from multiple camera operators in the field, so editing can start immediately. Uploaded content can be accessed securely from any location. News teams can even start logging clips while shooting’s still going on, saving even more valuable time when a story’s breaking.
Wi-Fi/NFC (Near Field Communication) with Content Browser Mobile™allows the PXW-Z90 to be remotely controlled from a smartphone or tablet computer (iOS 9.0 - 10.3 or Android 4.4 through 7.1) via a Wi-Fi connection. One-touch authentication is also possible with smartphones that offer NFC connectivity*The Content Browser Mobile™ application can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or App Store. Wi-Fi operation cannot be guaranteed with all smartphones and tablet computers.
Wired LAN connection allows the PXW-Z90 to be connected to the internet over a wired connection via the separately available VMC-UAM2 USB adapter cable and network adaptor kit (CBK-NA1), allowing files to be streamed or transferred by FTP.
Wide-angle Zoom Lens with Great Control
The PXW-Z90 is supplied with a fixed 29mm wide-angle ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* lens, ideal for capturing panoramic landscapes. The 12x optical zoom can be increased to 18x with Clear Image Zoom, maintaining full QFHD resolution using Super Resolution Technology or 24x in HD. In addition, the Digital Extender can double this range again, up to 48x zoom. The camcorder’s lens ring enables smooth, natural adjustment of focusing or zooming, depending on which mode is selected; while the manual dial and buttons on the side of the body allow swift and easy adjustment of IRIS (aperture), ISO/GAIN and shutter speed.
Superb Quality Monitoring with Enhanced OLED Viewfinder
You have superb monitoring options with the Z90: an enhanced 0.39-type 2359K dot OLED viewfinder and a 3.5-type 1550K dot LCD. The super high-resolution OLED viewfinder offers excellent quality brightness, contrast, and response, giving you better precision of manual focus operations and eliminating any color-breaking phenomenon. The LCD gives you further flexible composition options.
Dual XLR Inputs
Two XLR inputs reject electromagnetic interference for unhindered audio. Switchable phantom power supports mics that need it, while true input level controls put you in charge of sound. Remote OperationThe PXW-Z90 has a featured remote interface (2.5 mm stereo mini-mini jack) wired interface. Using a wired remote controller such as the RM-1BP or RM-30BP the focus, zoom, rec start/stop and rec review can be controlled remotely.
Wirelessly Synchronise Multiple Camcorders
When shooting with multiple camcorders, you can synchronize the timecode of each camcorder using Content Browser Mobile™ (CBM) smartphone application* with an optional CBKZ-WTCL upgrade. With this feature, all camcorders can synchronize to the primary camcorder you select or to a manually set time – whichever you prefer.*Version 3.0 Content Browser Mobile™ is required.
What's in the box?
- 1 x Sony PXW-Z90V
- 1 x XLR handle unit (1), Lens hood
- 1 x Lens cap
- 1 x Large eyecup
- 1 x Accessory shoe kit
- 1 x USB cable
- 1 x Rechargeable battery pack (NP-FV70A)
- 1 x AC Adaptor (AC-L200D)
- 1 x Power cord (mains lead)
- 1 x Wireless Remote Commander (RMT-845)
- 1 x Lithium battery (CR2025 pre-installed to the Wireless Remote Commander)
- 2 x Operating Guide
- 1 x CD-ROM “Manuals for Solid-State Memory Camcorder”
- 1.40 kg
- Approx 1020 g (Approx. 2 lb 4.0 oz) (with lens hood, eyecup) Approx. 1390 g (Approx. 3 lb 1 oz) (with lens hood, handle, eyecup, NP-FV70A battery)
- Power Requirements
- DC In: 8.4 V / Battery: 7.4 V
- Power Consumption
- Approx. 6.5 W (while recording with viewfinder and XAVC QFHD 2160/30p 60Mbps) / Approx. 6.9 W (while recording with LCD and XAVC QFHD 2160/30p 60Mbps)
- Operating Temperature
- 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)
- Storage Temperature
- -20°C to +60°C (-4°F to +140°F)
- Battery Operating Time
- Approx. 140 min. with NP-FV70A battery (while recording with LCD, XAVC QFHD 2160/30p, 60Mbps)Approx. 265 min. with NP-FV70A battery (while playing with LCD, XAVC QFHD 2160/30p, 60Mbps)
- Recording Format (Video)
- XAVC QFHD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile XAVC HD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:2 Long profile XAVC Proxy : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile MPEG HD422* : MPEG-2 422P@HL 4:2:2 Long profile MPEG HD420* : MPEG-2 MP@HL 4:2:0 Long profile MPEG HD Proxy* : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile AVCHD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 AVCHD 2.0 format compatible
- Recording Format (Audio)
- XAVC QFHD : Linear PCM 2ch, 24 bit, 48 kHz XAVC HD : Linear PCM 2ch, 24 bit, 48 kHz XAVC Proxy : AAC-LC 2ch, 16 bit, 48 kHz MPEG HD422* : Linear PCM 2ch, 24 bit, 48 kHz MPEG HD420* : Linear PCM 2ch, 16 bit, 48 kHz MPEG HD Proxy* : AAC-LC 2ch, 16 bit, 48 kHz AVCHD : Linear PCM 2ch, 16 bit, 48 kHz / Dolby Digital 2ch, 16 bit, 48 kHz
- Recording Frame Rate
- XAVC QFHD (3840 x 2160) @29.97p, 25p, 23.98p 100Mbps/60Mbps XAVC HD (1920 x 1080) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 50Mbps/35Mbps XAVC HD (1920 x 1080) @59.94i, 50i, 50Mbps/35Mbps/25Mbps XAVC HD (1280 x 720) @59.94p, 50p, 50Mbps XAVC Proxy (1280 x 720) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 9Mbps XAVC Proxy (640 x 360) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 3Mbps MPEG HD422 (1920 x 1080)* @59.94i, 50i, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 50Mbps MPEG HD422 (1280 x 720)* @59.94p, 50p, 50Mbps MPEG HD420 (1920 x 1080)* @59.94i, 50i, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, HQ mode(35Mbps) MPEG HD420 (1440 x 1080)* @59.94i, 50i, HQ mode(35Mbps) MPEG HD420 (1280 x 720)* @59.94p, 50p, HQ mode(35Mbps) MPEG HD Proxy (1280 x 720)* @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 9Mbps MPEG HD Proxy (640 x 360)* @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p 3Mbps AVCHD (1920 x 1080)@59.94p, 50p, PS mode (28Mbps) AVCHD (1920 x 1080) @59.94i/50i FX mode (24Mbps) FH mode(17Mbps) AVCHD (1920 x 1080) @29.97p/25p/23.98p, FX mode (24Mbps) AVCHD (1440 x 1080)@59.94i, 50i LP mode (5Mbps) AVCHD (1280 x 720)@59.94p, 50p, HQ mode (9Mbps)
- Recording/Playback Time
- XAVC QFHD @LPCM 2ch 100 Mbps Approx. 65 min with 64 GB memory card XAVC QFHD @LPCM 2ch 60 Mbps Approx. 100 min with 64 GB memory card XAVC HD @LPCM 2ch 50 Mbps Approx. 120 min with 64 GB memory card XAVC HD @LPCM 2ch 35 Mbps Approx. 170 min with 64 GB memory card XAVC HD @LPCM 2ch 25 Mbps Approx. 220 min with 64 GB memory card MPEG HD422* @LPCM 2ch 50 Mbps Approx. 110 min with 64 GB memory card MPEG HD420* @LPCM 2ch HQ Mode Approx. 170 min with 64 GB memory card AVCHD @LPCM 2ch PS Mode Approx. 305 min with 64 GB memory card AVCHD @LPCM 2ch FX Mode Approx. 360 min with 64 GB memory card AVCHD @LPCM 2ch FH Mode Approx. 495 min with 64 GB memory card AVCHD @LPCM 2ch HQ Mode Approx. 880 min with 64 GB memory card AVCHD @LPCM 2ch LP Mode Approx. 1540 min with 64 GB memory card
- Lens Mount
- Zoom Ratio
- 12x (optical), servo
- Focal Length
- f=9.3 - 111.6 mm / equivalent to f=29.0 - 348.0 mm on 35 mm lens (16:9) / equivalent to f=32.8 - 393.6 mm on 35 mm lens (3:2)
- F2.8 - F4.5 / auto/manual selectable
- AF/MF selectable 10 mm to ∞ (Wide) 1000 mm to ∞ (Tele)
- Image Stabilization
- ON/OFF selectable, shift lens
- Filter Diameter (mm)
- M62 mm
- Imaging Device (Type)
- 1.0-type (13.2 mm x 8.8 mm) back-illuminated Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Effective Picture Elements
- Approx.14.2M pixels (16:9)/Approx.12.0M pixels (3:2)
- Built-in Optical Filters
- OFF: Clear, 1: 1/4ND, 2: 1/16ND, 3: 1/64ND
- Minimum Illumination
- Standard [60i] 3lux(1/60 Shutter Speed, gain 33dB) Standard [50i] 3lux (1/50 Shutter Speed, gain 33dB) LowLux [60i] 1.7lux (1/30 Shutter Speed, gain 33dB) LowLux [50i] 1.7lux (1/25 Shutter Speed, gain 33dB)
- Shutter Speed
- [60i]: 1/8 - 1/10,000 / (1/6 - 1/10,000 when shooting with 24p) / [50i]: 1/6 -1/10,000
- Slow and Quick Motion Function
- [60i]:2160p:Frame rate selectable 1,2,4,8,15,30fps [50i]:2160p:Frame rate selectable 1,2,3,6,12,25fps [60i]:1080p:Frame rate selectable 1,2,4,8,15,30,60,120fps [50i]:1080p:Frame rate selectable 1,2,3,6,12,25,50,100fps
- Super Slow Motion
- [60i]:1080p:Frame rate selectable 240,480,960fps [50i]:1080p:Frame rate selectable 250,500,1000fps
- White Balance
- Preset (Indoor:3200K, Outdoor:5600K±7 steps, Color temparature set range:2300-15000K) / Onepush A, B, Auto selectable
- Gamma Curve
- Audio Input
- XLR-type 3-pin (female) (x2), line/mic/mic +48 V selectable
- Video Output
- Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack (×1), Composite 1.0Vp-p, 75Ω
- Audio Output
- Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack
- Multi/Micro USB jack (x1)
- Headphone Output
- Stereo mini jack (x1
- Speaker Output
- Microphone Input
- Stereo mini jack (x1)
- DC Input
- DC jack
- Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack Stereo mini-mini jack (Φ2.5 mm)
- HDMI Output
- Type A (x1)
- 1.0 cm (0.39 type) OLED Approx. 2.36M dots
- 8.8 cm (3.5 type) / Approx. 1.56M dots
- Built-In Mic
- Omni-directional stereo electret condenser microphone
- Media Type
- Memory Stick Pro Duo™ and SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible x1 SD/SDHC/SDXC x1
- WiFi / NFC Supported Format
- IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Wi-Fi/NFC Security
- Wifi / NFC Frequency Band
- 2.4 GHz bandwidth 5.2/5.3/5.6/5.8 GHz bandwidth**
- NFC Forum Type 3 Tag compliant