Sony FDR-AX43A 4K Handycam® with Exmor R™ CMOS sensor
- Balanced Optical SteadyShot with 5-axis Intelligent Active mode13
- 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) recording
- 26.8mm714 wide-angle ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* lens
- 20x optical zoom with 30x/40x (4K/HD)8 Clear Image Zoom
- Highlight Movie Maker
Regular price: $1,715.00
FREE with Purchase:
- Sony SD 64GB Card (SF-E64A/T)
- Sony NP-FV50A Rechargeable Battery Pack
- Sony Carrying Case (LCS-U21)
Built for stability and productivity
Delivering superb solutions for content creators and videographers
With Balanced Optical SteadyShot™ to rival gimbal systems, high-resolution 4K movie recording, and high-quality sound with a unique mic, this Handycam® puts professional production and simple movie sharing within anyone’s grasp.
Extra-steady shooting on the move
Watch Balanced Optical SteadyShot in action
Stable while walking
The unique Balanced Optical SteadyShot stabiliser, with internal gimbal mechanism, is about 13 times more effective than other optical systems3 allowing shake-free shooting while walking4.
Stable even while running
The Balanced Optical SteadyShot internal gimbal mechanism and image processing algorithm deliver such stable shooting that you can even shoot steady movies while running.
Stable at full zoom
The stability delivered by the gimbal and algorithm of Balanced Optical SteadyShot allows you to shoot steady movies even at full zoom where camera shake is most visible.
The brilliant true-to-life quality of 4K
The latest-generation lens and image sensor enhance the spectacular detail of 4K resolution5, with increased sensitivity for capturing high-quality movies in low light. High-bitrate recording6 in XAVC S format clearly captures even fast-moving and complex scenes.
ZEISS® 20x zoom 4K-compatible lens
The ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* lens has a widest angle of 26.8 mm7, allowing more of a subject to fit in the frame. Capture a wide variety of scenes with the 20x optical zoom (26.8-536.0mm; 16:9 mode), plus 30x (4K)8 or 40x (HD) Clear Image Zoom and 250x digital zoom 9
Exmor R™ CMOS sensor and BIONZ X™ image processing engine
The Exmor R CMOS sensor enhances image clarity, reduces noise in dark environments, and enables soft background defocusing, while the BIONZ X image processing engine achieves more naturally vivid and lifelike images and faster processing.
See 4K movies in HD on non-4K devices
Super-sampled Full HD Playback on non-4K TV or device
4K movies automatically down-convert to Full HD to play on an HD TV.
Trimming Playback trims movie frame on TV at a touch
Trace a finger on the LCD to trim the frame of a 4K movie playing on TV in Full HD.
Fast Intelligent AF speeds up smartly
The AF algorithm optimises communication between the lens and image processor for extra-fast AF, while a state-of-the-art AF range prediction system helps ensure even moving subjects remain in sharp focus.
Great sound, less noise
Three mic capsules capture clear sound and reduce noise, enabling high-quality recording of sound with clear stereo separation.
Shoot selfies, high- and low-position at will
Create the perfect vlogging setup with an optional shooting grip or microphone. The tilting LCD and grip make selfies, high- and low-position shots easy.
LCD touch control
With all settings accessible right on the touch screen, operation is fast and simple.
Serious audio connectivity
Headphone and microphone jacks are provided, for premium audio connectivity.
The AX43A uses a high-capacity battery to enable recording for long periods. Continuous recording is possible for up to 235 mins10 with the supplied battery.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
Connect NFC-capable Android devices with a simple touch, for remote control, viewing and image transfer using the Imaging Edge Mobile app11. Easy manual pairing for iOS and other devices is also available.
Highlight Movie Maker
Streamline your movie editing with Highlight Movie Maker. Using Dual Video Rec, the FDR-AX43A can simultaneously capture at 4K (3840x2160) or Full HD (1920×1080) for full quality storage, and at HD (1280x720) using an efficient MP4 video format for easy sharing. From the HD version, Highlight Movie Maker can quickly and automatically create HD highlight movies for immediate sharing - complete with video transitions and your choice of background music12.
Fast frame rates, for slow-motion
With support for high framerate capture, up to 100fps/120fps in Full HD, you can create slow-motion recordings, elevating every movement in startling detail.
See times change with 4K time-lapse movies
With Time-lapse Capture, shoot stills of a scene over a period of time with a chosen interval between shots. The resulting images can be combined in 4K high resolution into a time-lapse movie on a PC, or viewed with a simple variable-speed preview function on the camera.
What's in the box?
- 1 x Sony AX43A 4K Handycam® with Exmor R™ CMOS sensor
- 1 x Rechargeable Battery Pack (NP-FV70A)
- 1 x AC Adaptor
- 1 x Power Cord
- 1 x Operating Guide
- 1 x HDMI (micro) Cable
- 1 x micro USB Cable28
- 1/2.5 type (7.20 mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- Number Of Effective Pixels
- approx. 8.29 Megapixels (16:9)2
- approx. 8.29 Megapixels (16:9) / approx. 6.22 Megapixels (4:3)
- Image Processor
- BIONZ X image processor
- Lens Type
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T*
- Filter Diameter
- 55 mm
- Focal Length
- f=4.4-88 mm
- Equivalent Focal Length 35mm
- f=1 1/16-21 1/8 inch 2, f=26.8-536.0 mm (16:9)
- f=1 1/16-21 1/8 inch (16:9), f=1 5/16-25 7/8 inch (4:3)
- f=26.8-536.0 mm (16:9)
- f=32.8-656.0 mm (4:3)
- Minimum Focusing Distance
approx. 1 cm (Wide), approx. 80 cm (Tele), approx. 13/32 inch (Wide), approx. 31 1/2 inch (Tele)
- 6 blades (Diaphragm)
- Nd Filter
- Optical Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom
4K: 30x, HD: 40x3
- Digital Zoom
- Viewfinder Type
- Diopter Adjustment
- Screen Type
7.5 cm (3.0 type) Xtra Fine LCD™ display (921 600 dots) Wide (16:9)
- Touch Screen
- Brightness Control
- Adjustable Angle
- Opening Angle: max. 90 deg., Turning Angle: max. 270 deg.
- Image Stabilization
Balanced Optical SteadyShot w/ Intelligent Active mode (5-axis)7
- Focus Type
- Contrast AF
- Focus Mode
- Auto / Manual (Touch Panel)
Focus Area: Full range Focus / Spot Focus
Fast Intelligent AF: Yes
Lock-On AF: Lock-on AF8
Manual Focus Assist: Peaking Display
- Exposure Modes
- Auto, Flexible Spot (Touch Panel), Manual (Menu)
- Metering Mode
- Multi-segment / Spot
- Exposure Compensation
- AE Shift (Touch Panel)
- Auto Iris Control: F2.0-F11 / Manual Iris Control: F2.0-F11
- Other Functions
Manual Exposure Assist: Zebra Pattern Display
Low Lux Mode: Yes
Gain Control: Auto
AGC Limit: Yes
- Compensation: Yes (Auto)
- Minimum Illumination
4K: Standard: 9 lux (1/50 Shutter Speed), HD: Standard: 6 lux (1/50 Shutter Speed), 4K: Low Lux 1.8 lux (1/25 Shutter Speed), HD: Low Lux 1.2 lux (1/25 Shutter Speed)
- Auto Range: 1/6-1/10000
- Manual Control (Photo Mode): 1/25-1/10000
Manual Shutter: 1/6-1/10000
smooth Slow: 1/215-1/10000
- White Balance Modes
- Auto / Onepush / Outdoor / Indoor
- White Balance
- Shift : Yes
METERING SYSTEM: Pre-flash TTL9
- Flash Compensation
Yes (3 steps)9
- Flash Modes
Auto / On / OFF9
- Media Type
XAVC S 4K (100Mbps): SDHC Memory Card (4GB or over, UHS-I U3 or Higher) / SDXC Memory Card (UHS-I U3 or Higher), XAVC S 4K (60Mbps): SDHC Memory Card (4GB or over, Class10 or Higher) / SDXC Memory Card (Class10 or Higher), XAVC S HD: SDHC Memory Card (4GB or over, Class10 or Higher) / SDXC Memory Card (Class10 or Higher), AVCHD, Still: Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card (Class 4 or Higher)
- Recording Format Video
XAVC S format: MPEG4-AVC / H.264,
AVCHD format ver.2.0 compatible: MPEG4-AVC / H.264
MP4: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
- Video Resolution
XAVC S 4K: 3840x2160 / 25p,24p
XAVC S HD: 1920x1080 / 50p,25p,24p
AVCHD: 1920x1080 / 50p(PS),25p(FX,FH),24p(FX,FH),50i(FX,FH), 1440x1080 / 50i(HQ,LP)
MP4: 1280x720 / 25p
- Video Recording
VIDEO RECORDING RATE (ABR / VBR):
- XAVC S 4K: approx. 100 Mbps
- XAVC S 4K: approx. 60 Mbps
- XAVC S HD: approx. 50 Mbps
- AVCHD PS: approx. 28 Mbps / FX: approx. 24 Mbps / FH: approx. 17 Mbps / HQ: approx. 9 Mbps / LP: approx. 5 Mbps
- MP4: approx. 3 Mbps10
- Recording Formats
(Still Images): JPEG (DCF Ver.2.0 compatible, Exif Ver.2.3 compatible, MPF Baseline compatible)
- Recording Still Images
Still Images format:
- JPEG (DCF Ver.2.0 compatible, Exif Ver.2.3 compatible, MPF Baseline compatible)
Still Size Mode (PHOTO MODE):
- L: 16.6 Megapixels 16:9 (5440x3056), 12.5 Megapixels 4:3 (4080x3056), M: 8.3 Megapixels 16:9, (3840x2160), 6.2 Megapixels 4:3 (2880x2160), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080), 0.3 Megapixels 4:3 (640x480)
- Recording Movie
- AVCHD (up to 1,920 x 1,080/60p at 28 Mbps)
- MP4 (up to 1,920 x 1,080/60p at 28 Mbps)
- AVCHD: 28M PS (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/50i) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/50i) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/25p
- XAVC S HD: 50p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 25p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 100p 50M (1,280 x 720/100p)
- MP4: 28M (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 16M (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 6M (1,280 x 720/25p)
- Input Output
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal 10 , Micro HDMI, Microphone (3.5 mm Stereo minijack), Multi Interface Shoe
- NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Yes (IEEE802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz band))
- Wireless Connectivity
- Eye-Fi, NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing, Wi-Fi
- Power Source
- DC3.6V (supplied battery) / DC5.0V (supplied AC Adaptor)
- Rechargeable battery pack NP-BX1 (included)
- Power Consumption
- Camera Mode: Approx. 2.5W with LCD monitor and approx. 2.7W with viewfinder (CIPA standard)
- AC Input Power
- USB Charge / Power (supplied AC adaptor)
- Battery Life
- Still Images: Up to 220 shots / 110 min (CIPA)
- Smartphone Apps
- PlayMemories Camera App
- Photography Functions
- Smart Teleconverter (approx. 1.4x / 2x)
- Eye AF / Lock-on AF / Face Detection
- Face Registration
- Smile shutter
- Grid Line
- Quick Navi
- Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll)
- Exposure Bracketing
- White Balance Bracketing
- DRO Bracketing
- Flash Bracketing
- LPF bracketing
- MF Assist
- Marker Display
- Photographer Name & Copyright
- ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed
- PC Remote Control
- Auto Object Framing
- BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI)
- Single (with or without shooting information, RGB histogram & highlight/shadow warning)
- 9/25-frame index view
- Enlarged display mode
- Auto Orientation
- Slide Show
- Panorama scrolling
- Auto Review (10sec./5sec./2sec./off)
- Rewind (Movie)
- 4K still image playback
- 9 / 25 Images
- Operating Temperature
- Approx. 0°C to 40°C (32F° to 104F°)
- Exif Print, PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
Size & Weight
- 113.3 (W) x 65.4 (H) x 72.0 mm (D)
- 480 g (Body only), 507 g (With battery and Memory Stick PRO Duo) (CIPA COMPLIANT)
1 Value displayed on the camera and recorded in the Exif.
2 At maximum pixel readout.
3 REI (Recommended Exposure Index).
4 Speed decreases after some shots are taken.
5 You may not be able to shoot images in Burst mode depending on the Shooting mode.
6 Self-Timer is available.
7 With Adaptor (optional).
8 For movies, compatible Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark2), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro (Mark2), SD / SDHC / SDXC memory card or microSD / microSDHC / microSDXC card (Class 4 or faster speed is recommended) can be used.
9 Supports Micro USB compatible device.